Good Monday morning to you! I hope you had a great weekend, and a wonderful Mother’s Day. My Mother’s Day seemed pretty normal. It started off with my daughter cutting her doll’s hair, having a major meltdown when I asked her what happened, and then immediately after she had calmed down she had another meltdown because we discovered a splinter in her leg. It had been there since the prior day, and she hadn’t even felt it, but once she knew it was there it was ALL OVER. I’m smiling writing this, because this is what being a mom is, and I know I’ll miss it when she’s bigger. I hope your day was equally, or more amazing! Ok, let’s get on to today’s project! I have a sponged masking technique to share and I hope you enjoy it!
I created the background on each of these cards using masks and sponges with three colors of ink. This is a simple technique to try. Gather your ink, sponges, and masks, and try it out using these tips.
Sponged Masking Technique
- Begin by taping your mask to your card from the backside.
- Touch the sponge to the ink pad once or a few times to pick up some ink.
- Blot the sponge onto scrap paper to get off any excess.
- Practice on scrap paper if it makes you feel more comfortable.
- Use a swirling, circular motion and begin with very light pressure to apply color to the paper (over the mask). If you want darker color, apply more pressure. If you still want more color, get more ink on the sponge, and repeat.
- When blending one color into the next, use light pressure and light color and overlap the two colors.
Below you can see the Basic Pattern Masks I used on these cards.
Would you like to see exactly how to make this card? Check out this tutorial video.
If you haven’t tried this technique before, I encourage you to try! And please let me know what other techniques you would like me to help you learn!
Please make me your Stampin’ Up! demonstrator! Order from me using the product links at the bottom! Earn rewards points towards free stamps PLUS a gift when you order using May host code: GX4HDEZ7. PLUS, with your first order, you’ll receive free catalogs in your thank you package!
Sign Up For My Fun Folds Virtual Card Class!
Order the supplies I used and make this project yourself!