Mmmmmm. I could eat this stuff every day. All year long. If only the abundance of zucchini could last that long. Actually, I’m freezing grated zucchini in preparation for my winter cravings for this exact recipe. It’s that good.
I know many of you out there are looking for ways to use zucchini. And more ways. And more ways. You can only make bread so many times. Eating it as a side dish can get old after a while. And those zucchini boats just aren’t that appetizing in my opinion.
This recipe, my friends, will not get old. In fact, you will have no idea you’re eating zucchini. It amazes me that I don’t even see the green peel after this dish has baked. You’ll think you’re just eating a delicious pizza casserole. Actually, I might like this meal more than pizza itself. Say what? I’ve debated this a few times (it is quite an important topic you know). The consensus: I like this casserole more than most pizzas. A few pizzas I have eaten in my lifetime might beat the zucchini casserole, but only a special few.
I got my original recipe here. I have changed it by upping the zucchini and cutting out some of the cheese, so it is definitely healthier than in its original form. Before you go on over to the other blog and make the unhealthier version, I promise you will not know the difference. It is still so deliciously cheesy you won’t know it was ever any different. Actually, I think I could increase the zucchini and cut back on cheese even more. I’ll try it next time and let you know how it comes out.
Let’s get on with it. First, grate your zucchini. I used a mixture of yellow squash and zucchini. That’s my grandma’s colander that I still use. Retro is in style, right?
You’ll need to sprinke the grated zucchini with salt and let it sit for a bit. Then press out as much water as possible. Next, mix the grated zucchini, with some of the cheese and eggs. Pat into a greased casserole dish.
Bake until it’s getting brown and crispy around the edges.
Add sauce and toppings…
and some more cheese, and bake a little longer.
And here it is. Zucchini Pizza Casserole. An easy cheesy masterpiece. I wish I had some to eat right now.
Here’s the recipe!
- 6 cups grated zucchini or yellow squash
- 1 t. salt
- pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 c. shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 1/4 c. shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
- 15 oz. can pizza sauce
- pizza toppings of your choice: pepperoni (turkey pepperoni suggested), sausage, peppers, onions, mushrooms, olives, etc.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place grated zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Let sit 10-15 minutes. Press out excess water.
- Mix zucchini, pepper, eggs, 1/2 c. mozzarella, 1/2 c. cheddar and parmesan cheese.
- Press into a greased 9x13 dish and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with pizza sauce, toppings and remaining cheese.
- Bake 15 minutes longer. Let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.
If this is your first time visiting my blog, do a little browsing and check out some of my stamping projects! Never stamped before? Check out these short videos to show you the basics.